Saturday, October 27, 2007

Why can't we all be Toys R Us kids?


A sudden feeling of nostalgia hit me as I pulled into the parking lot. I hadn't been to Toys R Us in a good five years. Going to that toy store was a regular family outing at one point in our lives. We bought our first car seat, the kid's first bicycles and lots of dolls, toys, and video game equipment from that store. I wouldn't have been surprised if the clerks knew our names during the Christmas shopping season.

I used to enjoy walking through the aisles looking at all the merchandise. There were so many great toys that it really did make you feel like a kid again. I had forgotten all of that when I stopped in to pick up a game for our fellowship night at church this weekend.

As I walked through the doors I became that twelve year old kid again. I didn't just go to the games section. I wandered through the aisles in wide eyed wonder. Oh, to be a kid again. Life was so much fun.

The truth is that life can still be fun. Jesus once said "I have come to bring you life, life abundant." In another place he said, "I have come so that my joy may be made complete in you." I don't know why we make life so hard. Maybe we need to spend a little bit more time with the Lord and see life though his eyes.

God is the one who created the dandelion. He also fashioned the zebra, the clown fish and the polliwog. When kids see these things they laugh and stare in wonder. Maybe it is time to grow up and be a kid again. After all, Jesus said "if you want to enter the kingdom of heaven,you must become like a child."

Well I'll write more later. I want to go out and see if I can find some fire flies!

Cal

No comments: