Saturday, October 20, 2007

Choose wisely

Yesterday I planned on taking the day off. I was going to check in at church and then go for a walk. At noon I was going to head for an early show at the movies. Needless to say I never managed to do any of it.

It is funny how we get sidetracked. As a parent and a person with a flexible schedule, I often fall into the trap of letting every one else decide what and where I am supposed to be. I am not complaining. That is just the way it is.

I know some people who complain about others running their lives. They talk about demanding family and unappreciative bosses. They rant about those who schedule little league games, dance classes and music lessons having no compassion for the family.

Well here is the truth. We are in control of our time. We make decisions every day and it is based on a set of internal moral guides. For example I put my family near the top of my chart. When one daughter wanted a ride home from UCONN and another needed to be picked up from the bowling alley, their needs rose right to the top of the chart.

I also feel called to my ministry here. Earlier in the day an opportunity arose to visit and deliver communion to a member of the church who is battling terminal cancer. It was a no brainer.

I think what we need to do is own our choices and celebrate them. There are some days when I am blessed by kicking back and going to the movies. It is my sabbatical time. There are some days when I run around with my kids scattering seeds of love. There are times when my work calls my name. The important thing is to pause and thank God for his presence as we walk through our days. Of all the choices we make, including God in all we do will bring us the most satisfaction.

Cal

No comments: