Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What do you use to till the soil?

Today my theological understanding got stretched. This morning I met with Father Ed from St. Ann's Melkite Catholic Church in Waterford. We had an appointment to meet someone at 10:30 a.m. Before we headed off to the appointment, he gave me a tour of the church and shared a bit of the history and theology of the Melkite Church. It was fascinating and believe it or not, I knew very little of this particular Christian tradition.

At noon the Norwich Clergy Association met. After lunch Rabbi Charles Arian led us in an exploration of how the Jews view Jesus and the Christian movement. It was eye opening and it challenge the classic understanding many of us have. Rabbi also put Judaism in a different light too. Now I have to rethink my own understanding and see if it changes anything.

Theological reflection is good. It forces us to get together with Jesus in prayer and Bible study to think about what we believe. I think every Christian needs to be engaged in these kinds of discussions so that their faith can grow. It is like tilling the soil. It is important if our faith is going to develop roots and carry us forward into life.

So start digging. Grab a friend and talk about what you believe.

Cal

No comments: