Friday, October 26, 2007

Where is your gold shovel?


If you drop by my office over the next few days you will catch a glimpse of my latest collectible. I just brought in a gold shovel I received earlier today. I was up at the groundbreaking for the new retirement Cottages at Creamery Brook in Brooklyn, CT. As Chairman of the Board of Trustees of The Pierce Baptist Home and Creamery Brook I got to shovel a load of dirt at the ceremony.

Over the years I have participated in several groundbreaking ceremonies. It is always exciting. It marks beginning of new growth and points to great possibilities. I have a couple of gold shovels and a hammer two stored away to remember these occasions.

The thought occurred to me that we should do something similar as we engage life. When was the last time you had a formal celebration to announce that you were breaking ground in new ways? Have you have started a new job recently or entered a new phase in life? What did you do when you retired or sent the last child off to college? Did you celebrate when you moved into a new home or when you started a new exercise program?

Changes and new directions are a part of life. They remind us that we are alive. So why not celebrate and give thanks to God? Invite a few friends over and pass out some golden spoons or silver pens to mark the moment. Have fun and embrace the possibilities that God has put before you.

Cal

No comments: