Wednesday, October 10, 2007

He runs with us

Some of you may remember April Rezendes. She grew up in our church and graduated from Norwich Free Academy a few years back. She was a good student, a member of the NFA marching band color guard and a Latin lover, em, I mean a lover of the Latin language. She went on to graduate from Boston College with a degree in nursing and now works at the Deaconess Hospital in Boston.

I mention April because she did something extraordinary this past weekend. She participated in the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon and ran the 26 miles from start to finish. It was 88 degrees and people were dropping like flies but April managed to make it to the end. She writes about her experience in her blog (address listed below) and says, "Around mile 19 I still hadn't seen any spectators that I knew, I was dehydrated and hot and my hip was completely locked up, then someone from the Chicago chapter of JIM came off the curb and started running with me. He ran with me for about half a mile, gave me some encouragement and let me know what to expect up ahead, that definintely got me through..."

I read that and I thought about the number of times I was going through something very hard and was ready to quit. It seems like more times than I can remember someone showed up and walked along beside me and that gave me all the encouragement I needed to make it through.

God is so good. I am sure he was with April on Sunday as she did an amazing thing in running that race. And God is with each of us as we run the race that is set before us. Thanks be to him who gives us strength!

Cal

Check out april's blog at http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=barefeet4

No comments: