Saturday, October 13, 2007

What would Jesus do


Did you ever wish you could be in two places at one time? Today I was supposed to be in Branford getting ready to lead a workshop at the exact same time I was supposed to be meeting with a family from the congregation about a funeral. Normally I would have scheduled the meeting with the family at another time but this one was out of my control. The time was set by a third party. It was also someone very special to me.

Funny thing is that my workshop was entitled, "What Would Jesus Do?" As I considered my options I put into play some of the principals I was going to share in my workshop. Harvey Cox in his book "When Jesus came to Harvard" talked about having a little talk with Jesus when you were faced with a decision. So I had a conversation with Jesus that went a bit like this:

"Lord, I made this commitment to be at this event today and people are counting on me. I don't want to let them down. Yet, as I listened to Adele on the phone this morning I sensed that she was hurting and in need of comfort. I am her Pastor. What should I do?"

Jesus answered, "Do you think it is important to honor your commitments?"

I said, "Yes I do. You always said 'Let your yes be yes and your no be no.' I don't like to make promises I can't keep.

Jesus nodded his head and said, "So you made this commitment to the people in Branford and you feel called to be there. So why are you even thinking about not going?"

I looked at him and said, "My heart aches for Adele and her brothers. Their mother was a special lady. Right now they are in mourning and I feel I should go to them."

Jesus replied, "Why can't you go later? Why is it so important to go this morning?"

"Lord, you should of heard her voice. I don't know why but I totally identified with her and felt her pain. I just felt I should go and be with the family to comfort them. Isn't that what you would have done?"

"I did hear her voice and I was with her and her brothers while she was talking to you."

I thought about what he said and I replied, "So you think I should go to the workshop and skip the family meeting?"

Jesus said, "I didn't say that. I only told you that I was with her."

"So what does that mean?" I asked. "Are you telling me that because you are there I don't need to be?"

"No," Jesus said. "You asked me what I would do and I told you."

I was really confused now so I asked him, "So are you saying it is alright to break our commitments if something else comes up?"

"That's not what I am saying at all," he shot back. "Let me ask you this: Why would you even consider going to see Adele instead of going to Branford?"

I looked at him again and said, "Because I am her Pastor and my job is to be here when she needs me. I think a death in the family qualifies as one of those times."

Jesus paused and then he asked, "So are you telling me that there is some kind of commitment here that is unspoken?"

"Yeah, I guess so," I said. "I hadn't really thought about my role as Pastor as a commitment. I have been doing my job so long that I guess I kind of take it for granted. I always try to be here for my people. I guess that's why I had so much trouble with this. I have made two commitments that are now coming into direct conflict. So what should I do?"

"You tell me," Jesus said.

"Well I can't be in two places at the same time. Why don't you go lead the workshop and I will go meet Adele and the family."

He laughed and said, "Hey I can be in two places at the same time remember? You need to think about where you are needed the most and what only you can do."

Again I paused before saying anything. "My heart tells me to go see Adele. There are other workshops being offered so people can chose to do something else."

He smiled at me and said, "Well what are you waiting for?"

As I headed out the door I said, "How are you going to handle the workshop?"

Jesus winked at me and said, "I'll just tell them what I would do and see what happens."

And that is how I ended up missing my meeting to meet Adele and her brothers.

Cal

No comments: