Sunday, October 21, 2007

Love in action

When you receive a blessing, the best way to say "thank you" is to pay it forward. When we do something for someone else it is expressing our Christian love in its purest form. Today I witnessed that happening three times.

A woman and her mother came to the Interfaith luncheon today to get something to eat. Both of them were living out of a car. Unlike many of those who dropped in, this woman decided to help serve the rest of the crowd that had come for lunch.

We were shorthanded today so I wanted to do something to show my appreciation. She didn't have to do what she did. I was touched by her action and the way she cared for the men and women at the tables. So when I heard she was low on gas, I offered to fill up her tank. Her eyes filled with tears when I made this simple gesture. She said I don't know how I can ever repay you. I told her she already had.

It didn't end there though. After I filled her tank we were met by a young man who was lost and needed directions. We tried to tell him how to navigate the maze of downtown Norwich but he looked confused. It was then that she smiled and said, "Why don't you follow me? I have a full tank of gas now and I can get you through the city and on your way home."

Paying it forward: That is what Jesus calls us to do. Love one another as I have loved you. I saw it happen today and it was great.

cal

No comments: