Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An ordinary day with Jesus

Every once in a while I engage in a practice I call, "God walking." Last year we had a Bible study that called us to try living as though we were going to spend a whole day with Jesus. I decided to do that today. To get started I simply listened to the voice inside of me and chose to let it direct my steps. I am always amazed by where it leads me. Today I went to the hospice team meeting in the morning and then planned to stop at church and then head over to visit one of our members with cancer.

Before I could leave the church another member dropped in to tell me he had just visited with this same man and how he was looking forward to my visit. I left for his house and had a great visit with the family and made plans to com e back with Communion later this week.

I had lunch but then I felt called to get some flowers and bring them with me on my visit up to Pierce Home. My first thought was to run to Stop & Shop but then I had this feeling I should go to McKennas so that is where I went. When I entered the store I ran into Jaime, a young woman from our church who I hadn't seen for a while. She had just started working there. Weird huh?

I went to Pierce Home and it just so happened that Pastor Gil was leading a chapel memorial service. I decided to stop in and as it turned out my visit not only affirmed what he was doing but I was blessed by his message. I needed to hear exactly what he had to say today. (That was God's gift for me!)

Finally I stopped at a different restaurant fro dinner and it was close by another member's house I had been wanting to visit and so I headed over there and had a great visit.

Funny but I started the day feeling pressed on every side but as I get ready for bed now, I feel blessed. I did everything I was supposed to do today and then some. The best part of it was the fact that I felt God at my side every step of the way and you can't ask for a better day than when that happens.

Cal

No comments: