Monday, October 29, 2007

A job well done


The sometimes controversial but much loved pastor of the Mystic Union Baptist Church, the Dr. G. Kenneth Carpenter retired yesterday. He marked the conclusion of a twenty five year tenure at the historic church overlooking the village of Mystic. He was an advocate for peace and justice, a friend to the homeless, a voice for the marginalized. Dr. Carpenter was a mentor to clergy of all faiths and a friend to many in the community.

There were many glowing remarks made during his farewell celebration. I came away thinking that I hope that by the time I retire I will have made one tenth of the contributions that he made to the people and community he served. The truth is that the only way that will happen is if I make today matter.

Too often we put off doing good for some later date. We think we have plenty of time. We are too busy right now. We live as if tomorrow will not have its own demands. Dr. G. Kenneth Carpenter, Ken to those who worked along side him to make the world a kinder place, earned his accolades by making today count for something. He saw each day as an opportunity to serve his Lord and he did just that.

I pray that when you and I retire from our labors, the people we served will be able to join the Lord in saying, "Well done good and faithful servant."

No comments: