Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Happy anniversary mom and dad

Thirty six years ago I did something that came back to bless me a thousand times over. I stood up for my father and step mother as the best man in their wedding. I was thirteen at the time and was very excited to be in the wedding. I'm sure at the time that my excitement was due to the fact that I got to wear a tuxedo and stand up in the front of the church. As the years rolled by I began to understand that in blessing my father's marriage I was also blessing our family.

My stepmother became so much more than just my dad's wife. She became my mom. She became my friend. She became a sister in Christ when we were baptized together a year later. She became a prayer partner and at times my spiritual teacher.

Today she lives half a world away, or so it seems. She and dad moved to Kentucky/ It doesn't matter though. Whenever I need to talk, whenever I need prayer, I pick up the phone and give her a call. She does the same for me.

Today is my parent's anniversary and I thank God for bringing my mom and my dad together and giving me the good sense to bless it.

Cal

No comments: