Friday, October 5, 2007

Making an offer that honors God and yourself


A man came up to my car as I was sitting in my driveway yesterday. I was waiting there for my daughter to come out out of the house when he knocked on my window. He wanted to know if he could do a little yard work for me, raking leaves and the like, for some money.

I looked at my yard, which is relatively small, and there wasn't a leaf in sight. Well I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I sensed right away that he was just being polite. What he really wanted was a handout.

It made me think of the way I approach prayer sometimes. Whenever I want something I tend to beat around the bush a bit with God. I confess that sometimes I am ashamed to be so blatantly needy so I try to make nice.

Well guess what? We aren't fooling God any more than that fellow was fooling me. Maybe we need to be a little more honest with God. That may even mean trying to honor him and do his will before we come to his door. Imagine that. Then we would be giving him the respect he deserves and that just might gives us a little more self respect as well.

Cal

No comments: