Saturday, December 1, 2007

There is nothing like doing it the right way

I went out and got our Christmas Tree at the Murray Farm out on Route 165 in Preston this morning. For the last ten years we have made it a family affair. Like Chevy Chase in the movie Christmas Vacation, the girls and I would set off in search of the perfect tree. The first few years we would each take turns cutting it down. As they got older they were not as anxious to get down on the ground and it became my job.

Then Becky went off to college and even though I suggested getting a "freshly cut tree," the remaining tow girls were adamant that I chop one down. It was tradition. Last year Sarah flew from the coup and Rachel and her friends accompanied me on our trek. They watched and took pictures as I cut down the largest tree on the farm. I still don't know how we got it home, never mind in the house.

Today seemed like the perfect occasion to get the tree. Sarah was home and Rachel was free. I warned them that today was the day before they went to bed. Alas, this morning both girls agreed that I could handle the job alone. They gave me instructions and sent me on my way. I was determined to get a pre-cut tree this year in light of the circumstances. When I arrived I was out of luck. All the big trees were gone Although I tried to get out of it, wouldn't you know it, one of the boys suggested I go out and cut down my own, just for the fun of it.

So that's what I did. He went with me and I gave him $5.00 to chop one down for me. It was fun and I think my girls had the right idea all along. Watching someone else cut down a fresh tree is a wonderful experience!

Seriously though, sometimes we feel like we are alone when it comes to doing the right thing with our faith. We may have been surrounded by others at some point. They encouraged us and helped us see how important what we were doing was. Things do change. Life goes in different direction. Nevber forget that there is still value in doing the right thing, even if no one else is there to see it. God bless you.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Bless you for sharing your Godly wisdom.