Saturday, December 8, 2007

A little bit longer

My new motto is "just a little bit longer." I realized that this morning as I was working out on the elliptical trainer. Today was one of those days where I just did not want to go to the gym. The only reason I went was because I had eaten too much last night and was feeling guilty. The truth is that guilt is never a good motivator for the long haul, but at least it got me there today.

So almost immediately after I started I decided I was only going to go for ten minutes. I rationalized that I was going to have a busy day and I would probably burn off a bunch of calories on the fly. When I got close to the ten minute mark I decided I would go a little longer. Maybe I could make 15 minutes. And so it went until I finally had convinced myself to go the whole 25 minutes.

Then I decided I would do five minutes on the treadmill. With that same philosophy, I ended up going twenty minutes and I had completed my normal routine. I don't think I could have done it if I had forced myself about going the whole distance at the3 beginning. By breaking it down, by "tricking myself" I was able to do a little bit more and keep going.

I think the same principle is true for living the life of faith. We need to take it one day at a time. We need to look at the short haul in order to last for the long haul. We need to look to God for strength for today, especially when life is being difficult. When we do this, it is amazing what can happen.

So if you are having a tough time right now, hold on a little bit longer. It will get better. You will get through it with God's help. god bless.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am holding on tightly to God, will never let go.