Monday, December 17, 2007

There is life after the fall

The Christmas Tree looked great! I felt a bit like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation when he finally got the house to light up the neighborhood. My daughter and her friend and I covered every branch with memories. When it was done, I climbed up the ladder and put the angel at the top. It was perfect.

When Lori and I hosted her work party, the tree was the center of attention. It filled the space and was the perfect backdrop for an evening of fun.

That was Saturday night. This morning I came down the stairs and was blown away when I noticed that the tree had toppled over. It lay prostrate on the floor amid the shards of broken glass and ruined ornaments. The strand of lights lay in a tangled web at its base. Humpty Dumpty couldn't have taken a bigger fall.

We were in a hurry and we had to leave it but I vowed to come back and start over again. After Rachel got home from school we prepared to resurrect the tree. It took a few minutes but we did. Although we couldn't replace the broken bulbs, we did a pretty good job of making it look good again.

It got me thinking about the disappointments we have in life. Too often life comes crashing down around us. We think that it is the end of the world. The truth is that although it may be difficult, and it might not be the same as before, we can overcome anything with faith and a little help from our friends.

So don't lose hope. Just pick yourself up and start over again. You'll be surprised at what you can do.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I totally agree, no matter how many times we may slip and fall, God always reaches His precious hand out to us.