Thursday, December 13, 2007

To shovel or not to shovel


This time of year presents a different kid of challenge for me. It snowed today and there is a mess outside. Since my angioplasty in 2003 I have been given strict orders by my wife not to shovel snow. To be fair about it, my cardiologist was the first one to give the order. He said that shoveling snow is the worst thing a cardiac patient can do.

Now most people would probably love to get a pass on this. Not me. I used to enjoy shoveling. I looked forward to it as a calorie burning exercise during the winter months. I also look at it, and you might laugh at this sexist remark, as one of the things that the husband is supposed to do. Now I feel a bit like a slacker because I can't do it.

In our old home we had a long driveway that needed to be cleared after a snow storm. After my cardiac episode, a friend began plowing it for us. All I needed to do was sneak out and clear the steps. In the new house we have a sidewalk that is going to demand our attention. I picked up a snow blower at a yard sale this summer but tonight I faced a real dilemma. Drag it out, put it together and try to move the heavy snow with the snowblower or quickly shovel it myself.

Guess what I did? Most of us know better but we still do things we shouldn't. It is almost as if we want to tempt fate. We push the envelope. We see what we can get away with. The apostle Paul expresses his frustration by confessing, "I do what I do not want to do." In our weakness we fall to temptation even though we know better.

Snows coming again on Saturday. Tomorrow I am going to get the snow blower out and do it right. That is the good news. Even if we stumble and fall, God often gives us a second chance.
Praise God because some of us need it more than others.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I praise God for second chances.