Tuesday, December 25, 2007

It is His birthday

We always got up early when I was growing up. So bounding out of bed like Pooh's friend Tigger at the crack of dawn wasn't much of a stretch for us on Christmas morning. We would be up by 5:00 a.m. and scramble out to the living room to check on the bounty that Santa brought for us. Toy guns, G.I. Joes, Matchbox cars and lots of little trinkets were there ready for us to devour and enjoy for hours on end.

Christmas was always my favorite holiday. I looked forward to it for half a year. I'd get my mother's Sears Catalogue and begin marking down all the things I wanted as soon as it came out. Oh, to dream and hope at Christmas.

This morning as I got up and came down stairs I thought about Jesus and the fact that this day represents his birthday. I chuckled as I thought about Jesus rushing into the morn to greet the day. Yet instead of unwrapping all kinds of gifts we have for him, he finds his joy in sharing the gift of his love with us. for him it is truly more blessed to give than to receive.

As I watched my girls unwrap their presents today, I understood exactly why Jesus said this. There is nothing like watching the face of someone you love light up as they receive the most special gift. So why not make Jesus' day. Embrace the love he offers and bring a smile to his face on this, his birthday.

Merry Christmas.

Cal

No comments: