Sunday, December 16, 2007

A bad day turned good

Sleet and freezing rain came in over night and it looked like it was going to be a bad day. We had to make decisions about all of the activities at the church today. I knew there was going to be disappointment all around. I arrived at the church by 6:45 a.m. and the ride in convinced me that we would have to cancel Sunday School classes. After consulting with our Superintendent, classes were canceled.

The next decision would be more difficult. I hate to cancel church. You never know when someone really needs to come in and pray. The forecast called for it to stop before 10:00 a.m. and turn to rain so I decided to go ahead with services.

I think it was a good decision. Although we only had about 25 people, it was one of the nicest services of the year. There was something intimate and heartwarming about it as we sang carols and read the story of the angel visitation to the shepherds. Rachel Lord sang a beautiful solo that sounded angelic. It set the tone for the morning. It was a great service and my worries about people feeling cheated by a shorter service without lots of bells and whistles were all for nought. Simple sometimes is better.

After church we talked about the Christmas Party and Pageant and made the decision to cancel our evening program. There was a chance for falling temperatures to make for icy conditions and it was decided to be safe instead of sorry.

Everyone left and I packed up and to get ready for the next part of the day. There was a question whether or not the Community Meals were held on snowy days. The answer we received was a definitive "yes, because the hungry still need to eat." I set out for St. Mark's Lutheran Church to meet up with Lee and Hilary who were scheduled to cook. Their friend Denise came along and the four of us feed a couple of dozen hungry people who came out of the cold. While they dished out the food, I waited tables. It was so much fun. I have never felt so useful in my life as I served up trays of pork chops and fancy desserts. And it seemed the people were especially grateful on this blustery day. One man even brought a Christmas card and shared his heartfelt thanks with the kitchen crew. There was a loving spirit in the air and I have to confess that I left there feeling like a rich man.

I was blessed today. Maybe it was the weather. Maybe it was the fact that I had to slow down. Whatever it was, today felt like Christmas more than any other day during this advent season. So I thank God for a day which looked so bad in the morning that turned into a special day of walking with the Lord.

You never know what you are going to get when you turn a day over to God. But He guarantees it will be a good day if you make sure to include him in it. I don't know what the weatherman is forecasting for tomorrow but I'm going to invite God along anyway. How about you?

Cal

2 comments:

Denise said...

Such a wonderful day that God blessed you with. I enjoy Gods company always.

Denise said...

Please visit my blog when you have time, I have an award for you.