Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Offer it in faith.

I was out Christmas shopping tonight and I came home through Franklin, Connecticut. I was immediately ushered back in time as I went by the former home of Doris and Harold Diehl. I will never forget a morning back in the fall of 1988 when I drove out to their house for our monthly prayer meeting. We usually met at the church but once a month we out for lunch. Doris volunteered to cook for us that day.

As we were talking about life and the challenges we were facing, I mentioned that Lori and I hoped to buy our own home some day. We chatted about this and many other things and then Doris came back to it and said, "I think you should buy a house in Norwich and plan to stay a while." Sallie Pierce, Esther and Paul Lorraine, and a few others all agreed. Over the next several months they became the biggest advocates for the idea and greased the way for us to do just that. It has been 19 years since we bought that first house and we owe it all to Doris.

I think the church is happy with the way things turn out. I know we are. It's funny how a small thing can reap big results. Jesus seemed to understand this when he talked about faith. He said "faith as small as a mustard seed can move a mountain." You never know when your words, your suggestion, your encouragement, your stepping out in faith will be a blessing.

So don't be afraid to offer yourself and your ideas to others. When you do it in good faith, God may use it to bless others in ways you never imagine.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Giving of ourselves is a wonderful gift.