Monday, December 31, 2007

A safe place


Yesterday I visited the Strand book store in Manhattan. I couldn't believe the variety of titles that were available there. They specialize in used books and they have quite a collection of everything from sports, to religion to history and the classics. They are not a discounter like some book stores I have been in. Their prices tend to be a little high but they have the widest assortment that I have ever seen.

I found Ty Cobb's autobiography (I already have it) and lots of books on each of the U. S. Presidents. They had a whole section devoted to the arts and that was cool. I could have spent a fortune if I had it.

What struck me the most was the number of people that were there on a Sunday night. I never realized how many people love books. Everyone had an armful as they walked through the store. I have always been an avid reader but walking in the Strand opened my eyes. I was not alone.

I think the same thing happens for us sometimes when we go into church. There are times when we feel isolated and alone on our faith journey. Even if we are pretty self sufficient, there are moments when the world seems to be pressing in on us. What I like about church is the fact that I can find others who understand. We can talk about our faith journeys and the way God has touched us. We can encourage one another and when we tell how God has been with us, we don't get the blank stare that says, "Are you crazy?"

The church is a safe place to rest and be renewed as you journey through life. If you haven't stopped in lately, do it in the new year. You'll be amazed at how many of us there are who love and worship God.

Cal

No comments: