Thursday, November 1, 2007

Passing out love to strangers


The bell rang and I sprang from the comfort of my living room couch to answer the door. I was met by Thumbalina and Tom Brady. I greeted them and offered them a choice of candy. A few minutes later the whole thing happened again. This time it was a tiny dinosaur and a little witch.

For two hours I greeted children in all types of costumes and without hesitation handed over various treats. At one point I even had to run to CVS to secure some more goodies for my visitors. My first Halloween in our new home was a blast.

Now I know we could debate the merits of a holiday that pushes candy on children and theological appropriateness of a holiday that lifts up devils and hobgoblins, but the thing that strikes me is the generosity that is on display on Halloween. Just up and down my street I would guess that families spent twenty to thirty dollars on treats for the children. They passed those goodies out with a smile and a glad heart.

I wish we could replicate that every day of the year. I wish that generous and loving spirit that was displayed to total strangers who showed up on or doorsteps could be repeated on November 1 and April 10 and every day in between. I think that is what Jesus had in mind when he sent us out into the world.

Well maybe last night was just a start. Let's see what each of us can do today to make his dream a reality. Go out and be a peacemaker and lover today as you share the joy of the Lord.

Cal

No comments: