Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The family blessing


Thanksgiving is still hours away but I can already tell you that this will be my best Thanksgiving ever. I just spent two days with my parents and two brothers in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. It is the first time that we have all been together in eleven years. It may very well be the last time we can celebrate with Mom. You see, she has stage 4 cancer and was not given long to live by her doctors.

For the last two days we joked, reminisced, got caught up and ate together. We shared pictures and told stories. My youngest brother lives in E-town. He moved there in 1998 and bought a house across town from my parents. This was a tough holiday for him but our presence made it better. Let me explain. He received a blow just over a month ago when his wife told him she was leaving him for another man. He was still reeling a bit. We had a chance to chat about how unfair life can be at times. It was good for him. His two boys got to be around family and they really shined with the attention they received.

My middle brother lives in Des Moines, IA. He is a truck driver. Well, he was a truck driver. About three months ago he had an accident and although he came away with only minor injuries, it really messed up his head. He's out on disability right now but he is having a hard time thinking about going back. It has put a tremendous financial strain on him and his family. Facing bankruptcy and the loss of his home, he doesn't know what tomorrow will bring. For a couple of days we got to talk about the future and even how faith plays into everything.

My mom had two good days and we had a big family dinner today. Meanwhile I got to talk with both of my parents separately. We talked about faith and sickness and how my brothers were doing. We also had some laughs over some stories from the past. Most importantly I got a chance to thank them both for all they have done and tell them how much I loved them.

It struck me that although this could have been a difficult Thanksgiving with all that was going on in our family, it turned out to be a blessed one. No matter what the world was doing to the family, we were strengthen by being together. I thank God for that. I pray that your day will be a blessed one. I pray that as you gather with family and friends you will feel the presence of God with you and no matter what is going on in your life, you will know that you are not alone.

Happy Thanksgiving! Cal

No comments: