Sunday, November 25, 2007

A channel for God's blessings

I can't believe I did it, but I couldn't ignore the impulse to act. I was sitting at the counter of a Waffle House just outside of Louisville, KY on Thanksgiving Day. I had a half hour before I had to catch my plane when they walked in. This nice couple sat down at a booth and ordered a breakfast platter.

Out of nowhere a voice came into my head that said, "pay for their breakfast." Now if you know anything about me, you know that I am stingy with a buck. I like to get a good value for my dollar. Oh I give generously to charitable causes but I don't throw my money away. As I turned my attention back to the newspaper a vision of a $20 bill jumped into my head.

I asked myself where this was coming from. I didn't even know the people. Why would I pay for their breakfast? I ordered the special for myself cause it was cheap. So why would I spend my money on someone else? Who knows what they would order. As I sat there a voice said, "Pay for their breakfast. It won't cost more than $20."

I rationalized that I could drop a ten by their feet and walk away. Even that sounded crazy. I decided I was going to ignore this voice. I paid my bill and was ready to go, but I couldn't go. I couldn't ignore the voice. I kept thinking about all the stories I read about God speaking to people and using them to meet a need or answer prayer. So I went up to the register and told the waitress I wanted to pay for their bill. Wouldn't you know it. Their order and a nice tip came to exactly $20. I paid and walked out the door.

Now I can't tell you what happened, if a prayer was answered, if their lives were changed or if they just had a good laugh. But I believe that sometimes God asks us to do something that seems crazy and we need to trust him and do it. You see I have been blessed plenty of times by the generosity of others. I know that God prompted them to act. So on Thanksgiving Day I was just passing on that blessing and giving a nice couple one more reason to thank God.

Cal

No comments: