Monday, November 26, 2007

Trying something new

I am doing two things that are incredibly scary but amazingly fun. I think they are only scary because I am attempting to do them as I near the half century mark in age. Next June I will turn fifty. At this age most people are pretty set in their ways and aren't about to try new things. But I have found that at forty nine I have a lot more freedom than I have ever had before.

I don't care what people think about me taking the dance lessons. I am the worst one in the class but believe me, it doesn't take any of the fun away from the experience. As a matter of fact, last night I watched the movie Hair Spray and watched John Travolta and Christopher Walken dance. It inspired me to try harder.

The same is true of the Spanish class I am taking. It is hard to remember all the words and phrases. The other night I impressed my self when my daughter was trying to talk with one of her students parents. I kept feeding her Spanish words and suddenly I felt incredibly smart.

I don't think we were created to grow old and stagnant. God created us to live and to try new things. He created us with an incredible capacity to learn and to grow. I think this is what makes life meaningful. Too many of us wither and fade away as we get older. We are paralyzed by fear and we never venture out of our comfort zones.

Yet God is always calling us to step out in faith. He did it with Abraham. He called him to follow him and leave the security of Ur. He did it with Moses. He asked him to challenge Pharaoh and lead the people out to the Promised Land. He did it Peter, James and John. He called them from the security of their fishing boats and asked them to follow him.

So don't get caught up in a rut. Step out and let God challenge you to take bold steps of faith. You will be blessed and before long you will be dancing a new step or two.

Cal

No comments: