Saturday, November 10, 2007

A friend forever

I had my second funeral this week and as usual I am feeling a little reflective and melancholy. I don't know where these moods come from. Actually both of the services this week were celebrations. Both men were good Christians who knew their Lord. The service today couldn't have been more joyful. The man truly was an inspiration to me and several others. He showed us how to live and how to die.

Yet there is always a sadness for me after the funeral. I guess it is in the fact that death always signifies the end of God's glorious plan for life. There is so much hope and promise when a baby is born. The miracle of birth speaks to God's creative power. Yet due to sin, death entered the world and brought sorrow and mourning with it.

Isaiah the prophet once said "all flesh is grass. It withers and fades but the word of the Lord is forever." I guess what he was trying to remind us is that our life here on earth is temporary at best. We should enjoy it. We should celebrate God's love, the blessings of family and friends and the circumstance we find ourselves in. Meanwhile it is good to remember that in the end, it is God that we should seek out and walk through life with. For God is truly eternal and He will be with us in this life and the next.

So let's thank God for our family and my friends and thank Him for coming into our lives and blessing us for now and eternity. He is a friend we will keep forever.

Cal

No comments: