Thursday, November 29, 2007

Using your gifts for God


What do you like to do? What is your passion? Has anyone ever asked you that? Has anyone in the church asked you that? Probably not. It is funny but we talk about everyone having a gift from God but too often we don't try to uncover them in the church and put them to work. When we do use them for the glory of God, they create opportunities for blessing.

For example I love sports. When I came to First Baptist in 1985 I was immediately signed up to play softball for Century 21 in Colchester. The following year I played for Phelps Dodge in Norwich. In the third year one of our younger members noticed I played softball and asked why we didn't have a team in the church league. He pointed out this would be a great way to reach younger members and get them involved in the church.

He didn't have to ask twice. Before long we had a team and the rest is history. I parlayed my love of sports into a church bowling league, a youth basketball program and several other special sports ministries. I was joined by like minded people who came on board and now we are known in some circles as "the sports church."

The truth is that if you have an interest or hobby, it can be used for ministry. Sometimes it can be used for outreach to get people together. sometimes it can be used to glorify God in worship, education or in stewardship of the property.

So what is your gift? Let's find a way to glorify God with it. Need some ideas, let me know.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Yes, we should always be willing to use our gifts to help one another.