Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The hidden gifts

I stopped into Dixie donuts this morning and received a pleasant surprise. Mr. Dixon had a gift for me. It was a CD with music from Dick Campo's Band. He told me to pay special attention to tracks 3 & 6 because he was playing the trumpet solo.

I took the disk with me and popped it into my CD player in the car and I as transported back in time to another era. The music was wonderful. There is nothing like the big band sound.

Then I got to thinking about what I was hearing. For all the times I met Mr. Dixon, I never knew there was another side to him. He really had a gift for making music. It got me thinking about other people I know. What beautiful gifts do they have that I am not even aware of yet?

There is an old saying that goes, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." The truth is the Bible tells us that we all have gifts. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Life would be much more interesting if we sought to discover the gifts of the people around us. It would be like Christmas every day.

So let's start looking and let's begin by looking at ourselves. What gift do you have that you can share with the world?

Cal

No comments: