Friday, November 9, 2007

Bumper sticker shock

I had to laugh when I saw the bumper sticker on the car in front of me. Or should I say tuna boat? Plastered across the rear bumper were all kinds of stickers calling for us to protect the environment. One actually said, "I am a tree hugging earth worshipper!" From the advertising on the bumper you would think the person would be driving a Toyota Prius or some fuel efficient vehicle. No way. This green earth proponent was driving an eight cylander mini van that was leaving a trail of black smoke in its wake.

I am not about to throw stones though. I know that too many of us profess beliefs that we don't embody. We say one thing and then do another. It is almost as if we can't help it. I can't tell you how many people I see with fish symbols on their cars that drive like the devil.

The apostle Paul confessed that he did a lot of things he did not want to do. He pointed out that there was a war going on within him. The truth is that we all have those lapses where we do not do what we should. It is in those moments that we need God the most. For he sees what we want to do and be and he has the ability to help us live up to the high ideals.

So next time you want to put a bumper sticker on your car, ask God to help you live up to your high calling.

Cal

No comments: