Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Consider it time well spent


I was waiting for the football game to come on last night and decided to load the dishwasher. I stacked all the plates and cups in their appropriate places and dropped the silverware in the bin and started it up. There was still fifteen minutes to game time so I started wiping down the counters. That didn't take long so I grabbed the trash and ran it out to the bins behind the house.

When I got back into the house I saw an announcement that the game would start in thirty minutes. I had gotten the time wrong. So I moved into the living room and began straightening up. I put the throw pillows back and picked up a few cups and plates that the girls had left from the night before.

I had another twenty minutes to kill so I moved upstairs and put in a load of laundry and folded a few clothes. I carried a basket into our room and put them away and noticed the clock. The game was just beginning so I went downstairs and settled in for the night. As I thought back to the last hour I realized that I could have frittered away the time, but instead I had put it to good use.


I think that is what the Scriptures mean when they call us to redeem the time. We never now when Christ will return but we are called to make the best use of our time in the interim. We are called to be salt in the world around us, and light to those who walk in darkness. We are called to bring the Lord's blessing to the world so that when He comes, the whole world will be ready and anxiously awaiting him.

The best part is that it won't seem like work because we will be so focused on the joy to come. And believe me, it will be much better than the football game was!

Cal

No comments: