Sunday, November 4, 2007

Do it with passion for God

I grew up hearing about Boots Randolph. My dad wanted me to play the saxophone and so hearing him play Yackety Sax became one of my childhood memories. I tried hard to mimic him but early on I knew I was not going to be the next Boots Randolph.

The other night I heard a sound that brought me right back. John DiBiagio of the Fat Cats made his saxophone sing the sweetest music I have heard in years. That instrument literally spoke to the hearts of all who had gathered at the Maennechoir Club in Taftville. John played with such passion that the instrument became an extension of him. I thought to myself if only every thing in life could be so authentic.

Then it dawned on me that God calls all of us to have that kind of passion in everything we do. We are told that we should offer ourselves and all we do to the Lord. That means if you play saxophone, give it your best shot. If you are a teacher then devote yourselves to the young people you serve. If you are a carpenter then use your ability and do your very best in whatever you build. It doesn't matter if it is a temple or someone's home.

Can you imagine how beautiful the world would be if we offered everything we did to God? There would be no more slums, no more partisan politics, no more violent and filthy movies. Hunger and homelessness would end and education would be a priority around the world. It sounds impossible, but we can dream. Most of all, we can follow John's example and take the one thing we are we really good at and offer it back to God. It will be as start and maybe others will follow.

No comments: