Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What is fair for one is fair for all


I have had to learn how to live without my cell phone for the last three days. On Saturday I dropped my phone in the driveway and ran over it. Most people would run right down to the Wireless Zone and get a new one. Not me. Here's why.

I made a rule for my daughters a few years ago when one of them dropped their phone in the toilet. It was an accident but I wanted to teach them about responsibility. I told them if they couldn't take care of their phones, they would not be allowed to get a new one right away.

Over the years all three of them ended up losing or breaking their phones at least once and they all had to wait a few days before getting new ones. Most of the time they had to settle for a used phone for a time. Well, how could I break my own rule.

For three days I went without. It was only fair. Tonight I got my new phone. It was an old one that a friend of mine offered me. As I activated it, it suddenly occurred to me that this was the same dilemma God faced when he set the standard for righteousness. God gave us the law and then he was bound to it too.

God's way out was to pay the price for sin and that's why he gave up his only begotten son and allowed him to go to the cross. My lost phone brought home the point of the Gospel and gave me added respect for God's faithfulness. God is so good.

Cal

No comments: