Monday, June 30, 2008

Get smart

Get Smart is one of those movies that I would pay to see again. On Saturday afternoon I went up to Lisbon Landing to see the show. It was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. It was zany and filled with action and included just enough of the classic lines to make me smile.

It is funny but a lot of critics panned the movie because they said it was too much of an action/adventure comedy and not true enough to the original television series. Well guess what? Get Smart was great when it originally aired but the times were different then.

Slap stick comedy went over big with audiences thirty years ago. Tim,res have changed. People want more. Imagine trying to do Abbott & Costello movie today or the romantic comedies of Lewis and Martin. I don't think they would fly. Times change and we need to change too. We can be true to the core of what was, but still make a fresh and exciting presentation. They did that with Get Smart.

If its true for Get Smart, it is even more true for the church today. The gospel is the same today as it was yesterday. But our presentation is often very different. If we want to reach a new generation we have to speak the language of the young people today. We need to introduce them to Jesus, who was ahead of his times in Jerusalem, and show them why he still speaks to them today.

The churches that reach out to this emerging generation are the smart ones. They will be the future of the church. I hope that you and I can be a part of that as we share God's love with the people we know. It may not happen the way it did for our parents, but it will happen if we let it.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I enjoyed the movie too my friend.