Friday, June 27, 2008

This is the day

When the fire alarm went off I was sound asleep. I bolted upright, disoriented and not aware of where I was and what was happening. My wife said, "We have to get out, There is a fire alarm." I threw on a my sneakers, a t shirt and began making my way to the stairwell and proceeded down five flights of stairs to get out of the hotel.

This is the second time in my life that I was in a hotel when the fire alarm went off. It is a scary feeling when it happens. As you make your way through the corridors, unsure what is happening, all kinds of things go through your mind. You wonder if it is real or just a false alarm. You wonder if it is safe to make your way down.

Last night I had images of September 11th on my mind and I thought of those unsuspecting victims that made their way down dozens of flights of steps in New York City. As I stood outside the hotel I thought of how much people's lives can change in an instant. I thought about the victims of the Peach Tree apartment fires and the helplessness they felt as they watched their home burn through the night.

Our fire alarm proved to be nothing. But I was struck by the precious nature of each day we have. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. So we should enjoy each day and make it special. We should tell our loved ones we love them. We should make time to be with those special people. We should honor God and value the most precious gift we have, time.

It's hard to do in the busy world we live in. But Jesus warned us that the end is going to come like a thief in the night. Thankfully, for me and a hotel filled with guests, it wasn't last night. We all have another day. So be blessed. Enjoy this day that the Lord has made. Rejoice and be glad in it!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Praising God for keeping you safe my friend.