Monday, June 9, 2008

Flat tires and unexpected tragedy

I had my day all planned out and then life happened. I brought my daughter to school and on the way home I hit a pot hole and blew out both tires on the passenger side of the van. That meant I had to immediately figure out how everyone was going to get where they were going today while I changed a few tires. I walked home to get my car and the race was on.

It was already starting to get hot and changing the tire on the van wasn't as easy as I thought. As I was finishing up with the first tire, my wife suggested calling AAA and having the car towed to Firestone. That made sense because it was right next to the church and I could get some work done while I was waiting. I also had a friend who had connections there so I knew they would treat me fairly.

So my day started off badly but I still managed to get most of my agenda items done. As I was driving back from a hospital visit in Providence it hit me that as much as we think we are in control of our lives, life often reminds us that it isn't so. No matter how hard we try, life at best, is unpredictable.

That's all the more reason for us to put our trust in God. He can see what's around the corner. He won't steer us wrong. He will be with us when the unexpected happens. I have a friend online who has had a horrible month and it was capped off with the tragic death of her brother this week. I am praying for her and I will tell you one thing about her. She has a very strong faith. Although the coming days will be painful, she will come through them because she will be leaning on Jesus.

When our days don't go as planned, that's the best any of us can do. So say a prayer for Denise and I'll pray for you.

Cal

No comments: