Thursday, July 3, 2008

The things we do

My daughter brought a big white rat home with her when she moved back from UCONN. It was not the most attractive pet I've ever seen but he grows on you. After a month we have gotten used to having it in our home and I have even been called on to feed it (Who would have guessed?) when Sarah has been away.

The rat is fine and I am actually beginning to warm up to it. I does have an annoying habit though. It likes to chew away at the water bottle holder. Several times I have gone in and discovered that the water bottle was on its side, laying empty. One time he went tow days without water.

I wondered what he was thinking. Didn't he realize that his actions were jeopardizing his well being? Then a thought hit me. We do the same thing. We consider ourselves smarter than the rats, but we humans tend to behave in destructive ways as well. Too often we make choices that are bad for us. There is no rational explanation for it. Why else would we smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, take illegal drugs, eat too much, have unprotected sex and drive around in cars with road rage.

The apostle Paul saw this and noted that we can't seem to help ourselves. He points out that this is why we need to turn to Christ and to seek help. For God alone can help us overcome this self destructive tendency. He says that In Christ we are more than conquerors.

I pray that if you are caught up in something that is hurting you, that you will call on Christ to help. In doing so you will find strength and the ability to break free.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Amen, God takes away my hurts.