Friday, September 7, 2007

You will be blessed by telling the truth


When I called I didn't expect a thank you. A gentleman called the church the other day to see if we could use a fairly new stove and refrigerator. He told me that his elderly parents had bought them a few months ago but that they were downsizing after his mom died. Both were in very good shape.

Every once in a while we have someone looking for furnishings so I told him I would check it out and get back to him. Two days later I called him and that is when he thanked me. He said I was the only one who said they would call him back who actually did.

It got me thinking about my sermon last week. I spoke about the ninth commandment and the subject of lying. It is so easy to say you will do something and then never follow through. We don't usually think of this as lying. So what else do you call it when you commit to doing something and then don't do it? I'm sure that some of those people contacted had no intention of ever getting back to him. How do I know? I've done it.

Jesus said in regards to truth telling, "Let your yea, be yea and your nay, nay." In other words don't commit to something you can't live up to. Just tell the truth. That works in situations like this one with the appliances and with every other situation as well. If you tell the truth you will soon find that people will respect you even when you have to turn them down.

cal

No comments: