Sunday, September 16, 2007

A back stage presence

If you don't think that the Holy Spirit has a role in pulling a worship service together, then you better think again. Several weeks ago I told our choir and praise team that I hoped to lay out all my sermons, scripture texts and ideas so that we could coordinate our worship services to make them more meaningful.

As September rolled around, I didn't have the chance to do that but God wasn't going to wait for me. Just before the service began this morning I realized that the lectionary reading today was the same one that the choir anthem was derived from. When Muriel Roderick began talking to the children about God's love letters in the Bible, it dawned on me that my sermon was pulled from one of Paul's letters.

I really knew that something was up after I preached my message and began greeting people in the receiving line. My sermon was about the grace of God. I was excited about preaching on the topic but as I delivered the message I didn't feel I was getting through to people. I began second guessing myself about preaching on such a basic topic. All that changed when one person after another commented on the message in glowing terms. One man even said he wanted the tape because he wanted a friend to hear it.

Sometimes we think we are in control but today was just one more example of the truth. God is always there as a back stage presence, working through us and others to achieve his purposes. I think we need to remember that and practice getting out of the way a little more often so God can use us to do his work.

Cal

No comments: