Thursday, September 13, 2007

I sat there watching people come and go. Everyone looked like they had some place to be. I began to make up a little story line for each one. A business man came in carrying his briefcase and I reckoned that he was heading into New York City to a sales meeting. He was ready to meet his client for dinner and try to sell him on his company's product.

One woman came in with her daughter. They stood under the big board searching for the time of the next departure. When they found what they were looking for they both returned their attention to the door from which they had entered. Thirty seconds later a young woman entered with tears in her eyes. She was pulling a large suitcase and I could tell by the family resemblance that she was part of this group. They flocked to her and the three of them headed for the down escalator. In my mind's eye I could see her leaving the embrace of a high school sweetheart outside and heading for college in the city.

It's funny but even though I had fun making up stories for the people I saw coming and going through the train station today, all the people had one thing in common. Their lives all intersected at one place today and I was there to witness it. Our faith tells us that the same thing happens every day with God. In the midst of our every day business, God is there watching us. He sees our tears, knows our anxiety, sees our preparation and rejoices with our victories. Unlike me, he doesn't have to make up what is going on in our lives. He knows it.

The good news is that God not only knows where we are and where we are going, but he goes with us. He's there when we get to that business meeting. He is there when we leave that tearful embrace and embark on a new chapter in our lives. He is even there when we are sitting and eagerly awaiting the arrival of our firstborn daughter as she comes home for a long weekend. Praise God.

Cal

No comments: