Tuesday, September 25, 2007

You need a power supply

Who would have thought that a little thing like a power cord could literally stop a computer maven in his tracks? Yesterday my Dell laptop was up and running fine one minute and the next it was shutting down and going into hibernation mode. At first I didn't know what was happening.

Then I saw the words - hibernating -flash across the screen. Suddenly I knew what it was. My battery had worn down. The solution was to simply plug it in again to recharge the battery. As I went to grab the power cord, I realized that something much more troublesome was on the horizon because my laptop was already plugged in.

My computer is great. It has served me well. Yet it hit me then that unless it is connected to a source of power, and everything was working, it might as well be a piece of driftwood on a beach.

As I sat there trying to will the computer to go on, it struck me that many of us go through spells in life where our spiritual lives dry up. One day we are walking hand in hand with the Lord and the next day we feel lost and alone.

The truth is that we need to be connected to run at full speed and to get the most out of life. We need to be in touch with Jesus every day. He is the source of our spiritual power. I don't know what I am going to do about my laptop, but I do know tat maybe I need to spend a little more time with Jesus. How about you?

No comments: