Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A new landscape


This morning a friend of mine came to the house and helped us do some landscaping. He made a few suggestions. After hearing them I went out and bought some paper, mulch, fertilizer and a few more shrubs. Then he went to work planting them. I couldn't believe the transformation that had taken place when I came home this afternoon. It looks great!

A few weeks ago, Javier told me what needed to be done. He explained everything in detail. I was going to try to do it myself but the task felt a bit overwhelming. I had never done it before and was afraid I couldn't do it myself. So I waited and it didn't get done until Javier showed up today.

It made me think about how many times I had good intentions about doing something but never stepped out to do it. Something always seems to hold us back doesn't it, especially if it's something we've never done before. This is certainly true when it comes to telling our stories and sharing our faith. The preachers make it look so easy. We fumble with the words when an opening comes our way.

Hey, a friend on mine once told me "You will never know if you can do it until you try it." Maybe it's time we get off the fence and start trying a few new things. Who knows what we will dig up and what seeds we will plant. It may change the landscape of our lives. Praise God.

cal

No comments: