Monday, September 17, 2007

The hurdle jumper

My office looks like a disaster area. Every September I start running like a hamster on one of those spinning wheels and leave lots of papers, books and assorted junk all over the place. Like a hurdle jumper, I just go from one thing to the next without looking back.

The good news is that I can usually find anything I am looking for. The bad news is it usually takes a little while. This morning I have decided to take the time to sort through things and clean up the mess. The office is looking better already.

I think we need to do the same thing with our lives. Every once in a while we need to take a break between races and take stock of what we have been doing and look ahead to where we are going. The Bible says we should learn to number our days so we can gain a heart of wisdom. That's why God created the sabbath.

We can debate about whether that means keeping Saturday or Sunday as our Holy day, but the point was that we take the time to pause and take stock of God, our family and all the other blessings we have. When we stop and give thanks, it allows us to look ahead with a better sense of where we are going and to get reoriented if we need to.

Well that last pile in the middle of my floor beckons. Enjoy your day. God bless.

Cal

No comments: