Sunday, September 23, 2007

Stay on the course

I know I am going to get myself in trouble but I have to say it. Golfers look pretty silly when they are addressing the ball and getting ready to take a shot off the tee. I spent the afternoon at the Willimantic Country Club on Friday. The Pierce Baptist Home hosted their third annual Golf Tournament. I had the good fortune to be situated on the seventh hole in the shade. My job was to verify whether anyone got a hole in one to win a new Ford Taurus.

Needless to say, I got to witness some of the finest shots of the day as each of the golfers gave it their best go. The golfers bounced and swayed and did all kinds of gyrations as they prepared to smack the ball one hundred and ninety yards to the pin. Did you ever see the episode of Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners where Art Carney was trying to hit a pool ball? this had that beat. I wish I had my movie camera.

The truth is that a golf swing is a beautiful thing to behold. It is poetry in motion. When it is executed properly from drawing the club back to the follow through, the golfer looks like a ballerina in motion. Unfortunately that is tough to do. So most golfers only come close and that has to be good enough.

It got me thinking about living the life of faith. It isn't easy. When it is done right it is a thing of beauty. Most of us stumble around a bit though.We don't always have the proper form, but the most important thing is that we are on the course. Just like the golfers. So keep it up. Just keep trying and you will do fine.

Fore! Cal

No comments: