Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The day a nation prayed

I turned on the television yesterday morning and watched a rebroadcast of the MSNBC reporting on September 11, 2001. As I watched the burning towers and listened as the newscaster commented on what was happening, I had tears in my eyes. I couldn't help it. For I knew what was about to happen. As I saw emergency personnel rush to the towers and people sitting on the sidewalks below the buildings, I wanted to scream at them to get up and run.

I was caught up in that weird time warp. for I was seeing events unfold but I knew how the story would end and no matter how much I wanted to change history, I was impotent to do so.

I think we feel that way about matters of faith as well. We know what the Bible says. It affirms that a belief in Jesus Christ is key to eternal life. Yet we watch as our friends and family reject our notion of a faithful life and continue doing whatever they are doing. It is heart breaking. But here is the good news. You can do something about it. You can intervene on their behalf. You can continue to let your joy be your testimony and you can pray for them as well.

You see even when we are frozen in our tracks, God is not. He is able to do far more than we can. He did it on September 11. Heroic things happened on that day and those stories are still being told. God's grace touched hundred and thousands of people on that terrible day and he is still working miracles today because a nation prayed that morning and afternoon.

So make it a point to pray for your family and friends and watch what God can do in their lives.

Cal

No comments: