Friday, July 18, 2008

Ready and willing if needed

I stood on the golf course for five hours today. No. I didn't play or even ride in a golf cart for that time. I stood there at the seventeenth hole. My job was to witness and authenticate the fact that someone got a hole in one, if it happened. The chances of someone getting a hole in one are astronomical. It does happen but as often as a blue moon or maybe even less. But that was my job. I was to be there just in case.

I had lots of time to think while I was out there. That's dangerous for my readers. I did have a crazy thought connected to what I was doing. Standing out there just in case someone did the unthinkable made me realize just how important it is for us to be ready to share our story out in the world. You never know when someone will be in crisis and come to you looking for a word of hope or encouragement. Surely it is more likely than someone sinking a hole in one. You never know when someone will see your faith and ask you how you can be so sure that God is real. You never know when you will need to step up and be bold and let your faith shine. You and I simply need to be ready.

I had a good time today, partly because I was thinking about what I would say and do to the person who had the whole in one. That made my day. I pray that as you prepare to share your story with someone in need, you will have that same joy. The bonus you have is that you can bask in the love of God whether or not you need to share it on any given day.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am glad that I have the precious gift of His joy.