Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What a place to be

Times Square. There is no place like it in the world. Yesterday I went into New York City to meet my daughter and I confess that I still get a thrill every time I visit one of the most recognized locations in the world. Last night as I was preparing to head home, I looked around and saw people of all different nationalities posing for pictures with the famous marquees in the background. It struck me that there was magic in this place.

It is like a vortex in the center of the universe that connects people from around the world. We witness the changing of the year from this spot. Many blockbuster films are produced here. And when people from around the world travel to the U.S.A., they all have to come here before they move on.

Now I know this is going to sound silly. But our church sanctuaries do pretty much the same thing. We can be worshipping in Norwich, CT and in some mystical way we are connected to others in Los Angeles, CA. While we are singing the hymns of faith, we are connected to worshippers in Seoul, Korea and Johannesburg, South Africa and Caracas, Venezuela. Our sanctuaries connect us to one another and to God when we come together to pray.

We make a big deal about denominations and even the Protestant/Catholic divide, but in Christ we are one. When we bow down to worship him, we are brought together with Christians around the world in a way that makes the magic of Times Square look pale.

So next time you go to church, look around and then be amazed. You are at the center of god's universe.

Cal

1 comment: