Thursday, July 31, 2008

Who is calling you?

Today is newsletter day. That means that I am at the church early to put the finishing touches on my "baby" before the crew gets here to prepare it for mailing. I really enjoy the art of publishing a monthly newsletter but it does take time. This morning I was here especially early because it was a busy week and I had a lot left to do. So I was out the door at home and at the drive through at Dunkin Donuts at quarter to five. An hour later I was hard at work at the church when the phone rings at 5:45 a.m.

The question pops up in my mind: "Should I answer it or not? No one knows I am here, right?" On the third ring I pick up and it was a member of the church who lives near by. She saw my car and tried the door but it was locked. She knew it was early but she took a chance and called to see if I could say a prayer with her. I told her I would and immediately went out side to pray with her.

I almost missed that call. Too often we get so busy and caught up in what we are doing that we don't feel the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit prompting us to act. The truth is that god calls all of us to be his hands, his feet, his caring touch in a world that is growing more isolated every day. If we aren't paying attention, we will miss the opportunity not only to be a blessing to someone else, but to receive a blessing.

Yes, when we do something for someone else, God blesses us right back. The scriptures say that the measure you give is the measure you will receive. And God has lots of blessings to share.
So what is God prompting you to do right now? Listen to that still small voice and follow through. You will be glad you did.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Bless you my friend.