Thursday, February 28, 2008

You never know where you will meet Him

I walked into the bathroom of the Convention Center this morning and almost ran right into John Ortberg, the featured preacher at the first session of the day. I step backed and said "Hi." He smiled at me and said, Hi" and then he was gone. It's funny but for a split second I felt like I had just bumped into an old friend. Here we were in the most intimate of places, the men's room, and we had a moment where we connected person to person.

John Ortberg, a man who we met at church through a DVD Study of his book, "If You Want To Walk on Water, You Have To Get Out of the Boat" smiled and greeted me. You just never know who you will meet in a public rest room. Sounds funny doesn't it.

I am reminded of the time I got on an elevator with some friends from church only to discover that Tony Campolo was on the same elevator. I've loved Tony's writing and preaching since I first heard him years ago. He is one of my heroes in the faith. That day I met him on the elevator I was so pumped up. Imagine meeting someone like that in an elevator. I have to confess that for a long time I was always excited to get on an elevator because I didn't know who else I might bump into.

Then there was that day when I met preacher and evangelist Luis Palau on the sidewalk in Providence, Rhode Island. I was just walking with a group of kids from our church when we bumped into him. I couldn't believe it. And he even remembered my name from when he did a rally in New London County the year before. I was walking on air.

I know at times my hero worship gets out of hand. But you know what is the most amazing encounter I ever had. It came just this morning when I met Jesus. The funny thing is that Jesus comes to meet you and me every day, in unusual places and quite often when we least expect. He comes looking for us. He sets up divine appointments so we can share a moment together in the car or while we are on the treadmill. He manages to bump into us when we are tired or stressed out and running through our day. He just nods at us with a smile and says, "Hi."

Isn't God wonderful? He always shows up when you least expect him. Praise God. He is so good.

Cal

1 comment: