Monday, February 18, 2008

Whose job was it to know?

Do you know that story in the Bible where Mary and Joseph are half way home before they realize that the twelve year old Jesus is still back in Jerusalem? A lot of people question how that could ever happen. Tonight I was part of a situation where something very similar took place and now I know how it might have happened.

It all has to do with communication. I was supposed to pick up seven girls after dance class and bring them home with me. When I arrived my daughter told me that three of them had a ride to our house and they were coming later.

When we got home I got a call from one of the moms asking why we had left three of the girls at the studio. After sorting everything out we realized that there had been a communication breakdown. I never asked the right questions to find out that the girls were waiting for a mom that we had already spoken to.

Thankfully everyone arrived safely at our house. And Mary and Joseph found Jesus safe and sound in the temple. This whole episode reminded me how important it is to ask questions and forgo making assumptions. That is especially true in church. We make a lot of assumptions about people's motives, their level of faith experience, and their dedication. We need to remember that we are "family" and that we need to love one another and encourage each other without second guessing them. When we do that there will always be more blessings than disappointments and misunderstandings.
Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Glad everything worked out, and the girls were safe.