Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The moment it becomes real

I know I should be happy because my new status will begin to bear fruit in terms of discounts and rewards. I have finally been recognized after all these years. I have come to that place where one of the most important groups in American Society has noticed me. I received I AARP Card in the mail today.

At first I thought it was a mistake. Then I noticed that it said I could enjoy all their benefits at age 50. It's funny but we have been having fun with this in church. About ten of us will turn fifty this year. We are even planning a party. But I guess it didn't seem real until I received my card yesterday. Now I know it is real and going to happen. C'est la vie!

It reminded me that a lot of people talk about Jesus. They may even come to church on occasion. But until you have an encounter with our Lord, he will never be real to you. Last week I was in a Bible study with Dr. David Bartlett and he was talking about the search for the historical Jesus. He commented on the fact that it was very hard to dig through the scriptures to find the real Jesus under the layers of history and tradition. He went on to say that it was important to know the Jesus of the Bible, it was more important to know the living Jesus of today and to live with him. Your encounter with the living Christ is what makes him and our faith real.

So while I go out and use my card to get some discounts in the stores this week, I'm also going to invite Jesus to come along so I can enjoy his benefits. How about you? Want to come along?

God bless. Cal.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I want Jesus with me everywhere I go.