Thursday, February 7, 2008

Jesus at McDonalds

I found this inspirational story on the web and thought I would pass it on tonight. Carol writes a daily blog like I do. It is called "Sheep to the Right." Read the story and then check out her blog yourself. There is lots of good food for thought on it.

It is at http://sheeptotheright.blogspot.com/ Enjoy.

Cal

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40 NIV

I just got back from McDonald's, and Jesus was there. I know because he pushed me off of my stool. Let me back up and tell you the whole story. My friend Carla called and invited me to meet her at McDonald's to have lunch. I was planning a peanut butter and jelly on some dry bread; so, of course, I jumped at any excuse to sup on something more delicious. Yes, I do think McDonald's qualifies as delicious - don't be raising your brows at me.

Back to the story. Carla and I were eating in the play area and our girls were already playing. My daughter, Faith gobbled a few nuggets and ran. As we sat there, a woman came in with what looked like her grandchildren. She got them seated, then left to order food. A few minutes later, she reappears with an overloaded tray full of the deliciousness that only McDonald's can provide. Just as she was bringing her tray in for a landing, catastrophe struck! One of her little cups of ketchup, full to the top, went flying over the edge of her tray to splatter all over the floor, the trashcan several feet away, and her.

Friends, an expletive came flying out of her mouth that I dare not repeat. But it started with the same sound mother's use to hush their kids in church. "Shhh!" Did you catch the fact that we were in the play area? There were sets of tiny ears everywhere, not to mention the two sets that were sitting with her. Here comes the point where I knew that Jesus was there.

Carla and I made eye contact, and I mouthed "Did she just say what I think she said?" Carla confirmed it with a nod. As my mouth hung open and my eyebrows raised, Jesus pushed me off of my stool. "Grab your napkins. You have more than enough" I heard him say. I stumbled (since I had been pushed, you see) over to this grandmother's table. I picked up the guilty ketchup cup and tossed it in the trash. Then I knelt down to wipe up the ketchup from the floor.

It was from this kneeling position that I saw the ketchup on this woman's feet (she had on flip flops) and pants. Funny how we can see so much more when we humble ourselves and get on our knees. "Oh, she'll probably want to wipe that off herself" I thought and as soon as the thought came - it went. And Jesus said, "Wipe her feet. I have washed your feet clean. Now you wipe hers." And so with the crunchy, white McDonald's napkins, I wiped this woman's feet and pants clean. The ketchup on her feet was only too close to resembling the blood on Christ's feet as he hung on the cross - to die for me and this grandma with the "whoopsie" mouth. As I wiped her clean, Carla finished wiping the floor.

"My goodness, thank you." The grandmother expressed her gratitude. Carla and I sat back down and cleaned up our own table as we readied to leave. As we walked out, the lady called after us, "Thank you again." And she smiled. I smiled, too, because I knew Jesus had just used Carla and me to represent Him. What an honor.

Itell you theis to let you know, friends, Jesus is everywhere - even at McDonald's. Be sure you're not too busy eating your Big Mac to hear himtell you tho get off of your stool, 'cause He just might push you.

Carol

2 comments:

Carol said...

You are so sweet! Thanks for your encouraging words. I am proud to be on your sidebar! :) Thank you!

Denise said...

This was good.