Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who are you listening to?

I went to the gym this morning. It was therapeutic. I put on my headphoners and turned on my i-pod and began sweating away on the treadmill. I have found that whether I am on the eliptical training, stairmaster, treadmill or rowing machine, time seems to fly by faster and the wrkout seems to be much more enjoyable if I am listening to the Statler Brothers or Vince Gill. Throw in a bit of Three Dog Night and Elton John and I am grooving right along.

The only probelm with this is that I tend to tune out the rest of the world when I am listening to the tunes on my i-pod. This morning a friend of mine said he was trying to get my attention for five minutes before I noticed him. I know the feeling because I have done the same thing with my daughter. She flies away when she has her i-pod on. That isn't always a bad thing though.

The truth is that we would all do a bit better if we could focus more on Jesus as we do our daily walk. If we could tune out the distractions and listen to his voice, we would be happier and life would be much easier. Unfortunately we get distracted too often. The world grabs our attention and we take our eyes and ears off Jesus.

My dad has a strategy to help him keep his eyes on Jesus. He begins every days by reading his Bible and reading a devotional of some sort. He says this sets him up for a good day with the Lord. He doesn't know about I-pods but I think he found something that all of us can use to tune into Jesus every day.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Jesus radio, the best radio ever.